Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 4-6 servings
Stave off those cold winter nights with this delicious recipe.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (or mild hot pepper)
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz. clam juice (or dry wine)
- 1 3/4 tsp. Cajun spice mix or blackened seasoning
- 3 whole chicken breasts, bones and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 16 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
1. Stir in tomatoes, clam juice, 1 tsp. Cajun spice, salt, and chicken. Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat immediately. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10–15 minutes.
2. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, stir in flour and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly until sauce has darkened.
3. Stir in celery, pepper, onions and garlic and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in tomatoes, clam juice, Cajun spice and chicken. Bring all ingredients to a boil and allow to simmer uncovered for 10–15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool for a minimum of 3–5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
5. While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice according to package directions.
6. Serve the Etouffee over a bed of white (or brown) rice.