- In a medium saucepan, heat the water and margarine to a boil.
- Sprinkle in the cereal.
- Cook for one minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and let it sit for four minutes.
- Stir in the egg or egg product and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, and baking powder.
- Stir in the cereal mixture until well blended.
- Stir in the nuts, if used.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 °F for 40–50 minutes.
- Cool and cut into 2-inch squares.
- This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13-inch pan.