Prep Time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
Tangy and Sweet Jamaican-style Curried Shrimp with Corn Rice
- 1 lb medium shrimp cleaned and deveined
- Jamaican fish rub spice (see note)
- Jamaican curry powder (2 T)
- 2 T each olive oil & butter
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped in 2-3" strips
- 2 T ketchup
- 1/2 C water
- handful each of par-cooked cut corn, peas, baby carrots, fresh green beans
- scotch bonnet (pierced few times with fork and left in while cooking, then removed)
- salt & pepper
- Wash and season shrimp with Jamaican fish rib, salt and pepper (sprinkle on lightly to moderately)
- In large stainless pan, heat the oil and butter on medium heat; when warm add the curry powder and let burn to caramel (3-4 minutes).
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper and stir fry with the curry mixture until cooked down (about 5 minutes)
- Add ketchup and water. Cook together for 2-3 minutes. Sauce should be consitency of gravy - add more water as needed. Add the scotch bonnet.
- Add shrimp and mix together for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add beans, other veg and and cover with lid for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep covered until serving .
- Serve over rice that has been cooked with a stalk's worth of cut corn.
- For more delicious and tangy gluten free recipes, visit http://www.whatisglutenfree.net