Recipe makes about 20 cookies.
- 1½ cups white rice flour
- ½ cup butter or margarine (cold)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg (cold)
- 1½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla, lemon, or almond flavoring
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Combine the rice flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture is in crumbs the size of peas.
- In a small bowl beat the sugar, egg, and vanilla (or other flavoring) together.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides.
- Form the dough into a flat ball shape and refrigerate for one hour.
- Dust some freezer paper (not wax paper) with gluten-free flour or confectioners sugar.
- Put the dough on the freezer paper and sprinkle with flour or confectioner's sugar.
- Roll the dough to ¼ inch thick and cut out shapes as desired.
- Bake at 350 °F for 12 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.